Dare to visit the Colca Canyon, a perfect place for adventure tourism and rafting. A tour for lovers of extreme adventure, those who will be pleased to know the Colca Canyon, owner of an extraordinary beauty. An ideal landscape for the practice of canoeing in canoes, rafts and kayaks.
Pre-Departure Briefing in the night in Arequipa.
DAY 01: Arequipa-Huambo
In the morning, we begin the 5 hour drive to the rim of the Colca Canyon. We climb north through arid desert country and over a 13,500 foot pass to the small village of Huambo, a rustic village set on the edge of the Colca Canyon, where we set up camp.
DAY 02: Huambo-Colca Canyon
Early in the morning, we load burros with our gear and begin the 15 kilometer hike down a narrow, rugged trail to the river. The moderately difficult 7 hour downhill hike affords dramatic views of the canyon. In the late afternoon, we reach the river and the small Indian settlement of Canco (population: 5 families), where we set up camp.
DAY 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 & 08: Rio Colca
For the next 6 days, we negotiate the most difficult and inaccessible commercially run river canyon in the world. The scenery is magnificent with massive geologically twisted walls towering above the angry water. In many places, giant boulders have fallen from the cliffs, littering the canyon floor and forming numerous long, steep, technical Class 4 and 5 rapids and, at least, one portage. The most difficult rapids come a few days into the expedition so there is time to develop the necessary teamwork in the rafts.
DAY 09: Rio Colca-Arequipa
This morning, we pack up and make a 3 hour drive back to Arequipa. We arrive at the hotel in the early afternoon.
Note: Because of the serious nature of this expedition, interested participants will be carefully screened on an individual basis. It is imperative that they be in excellent physical condition. Previous Class 5 whitewater experience is important but not necessarily a prerequisite for joining the trip.
The price includes
- Private Bus transportation(Arequipa-Colca-Arequipa).
- Professional Speaking English Rafting Guide.
- All Rafting Equipment(Paddle, Life Jacket, Helmet, Paddle Jacket, Self Bailer Hyside 14” Rafts).
- Dry bags(for the personal belongings)
- Double tents.
- All meals during the trip.
Optional: Video and Photos Service
We Recommend to Bring:
- Flashlight with spare bulbs and batteries
- Sleeping bag , Matters
- Long pants and long-sleeved shirts(thick and baggy fabric against mosquito’s)
- Shorts/Bathing suit
- Sweater or light jacket
- One pair of light shoes or sandals
- Rain gear
- Sunhat, sunglasses, sunblock
- Insect repellent (with at least 25% deet)/ Afterbite
- Plastic bag (to keep everything dry)
- Water bottle (with water for the car ride into Colca)
- Copy of a valid passport
- Money for soft drinks or beers and Village.